Thursday, August 13, 2009

Update on previous post

I had my glucose screen. As I suspected, I had a high reading. I ate a protein breakfast and walked in between drinking the drink and getting my reading, but it wasn't enough to offset the way my body processes sugar. One thing that's different about this time, though, is that my reading was not as high as it was for the one hour test with Nora. This time I'll be taking the three hour test. The one hour is a "screening" and the three hour is diagnostic. I'm not that optimistic about the three hour test, mainly because it is a fasting test. They'll do multiple blood draws, but if my fasting draw is elevated then it doesn't matter what I get on the other draws. Fasting is the number I have had the most trouble with in the past, so... we'll see.

So if I have gestational diabetes again, what does it mean? It means that I will have to be more diligent with nutrition. I may have to take insulin, which I've done before and is not as bad as I thought it would be. I will receive more monitoring than a low risk patient, but probably not as much as I had for the last pregnancy. I've done some research since then and the extreme monitoring I had last time has not been shown to improve outcomes. In the grand scheme of things, it probably won't be a big deal. I'm glad I took the time to learn more about pregnancy and my particular complications before I got pregnant this second time. For me, it's easier to apply logic and reason when I'm not pregnant. I'm using a different OB this time and I met with him a couple of years ago and asked him what he thought about GD, how that would affect things, etc., so we're all on the same page. Good stuff!

I did get Nora signed up for ballet, which starts in about two weeks, and gymnastics later in the fall. She asks me every day when her ballet classes start. Today she was "doing her ballet" on my bed and she fell off - twice! I told her we needed to make a rule about not doing ballet on the bed because it was too dangerous and I didn't want her to get hurt. She was still upset at this point and wailed, "But I don't want to do it on the FLOOR!"

This weekend our good friends the Emersons are coming to visit us. (I have to pout a little bit because they're only staying about 24 hours.) We're going to a concert and our baby-sitter is going to keep Nora and her friend Penelope. We're not sure how that will go since P doesn't know the baby-sitter, but the concert is only a couple of hours long. I'm sure we'll enjoy the company!

1 comment:

Monika @ Lovely Bookshelf said...

I flunked the 1-hour test horribly. It was really pathetic! haha But the 3-hour test was okay. My body is weird. I really hope you don't have GD, even though you seem okay with having to manage it and everything, if that ends up being the case.

Nora is too cute, doing ballet on the bed LOL!! Can't wait to see pics of her in ballet/gymnastic gear!!!

Post a Comment